Founded in 1979, the Friends of the Athens Public Library (FAPL) is a voluntary non-profit organization separate from the Athens County Public Libraries (ACPL).
According to its bylaws, the purpose of FAPL is “to foster closer relations between the Athens Public Library and the citizens of Athens and its environs; to focus public attention on library services and needs; and to support the Library’s services and programming.”
To achieve these goals, the organization raises money through membership dues, the sale of books, and monetary donations. Most of their time is spent organizing and hosting an ongoing book sale inside the Athens library during its open hours, with all proceeds from the sale further supporting library functions.
The Friends have helped to fund a variety of interesting programs and services at the Athens library, including the following:
- A wide range of library book clubs, author visits, and educational speakers.
- The upkeep of beautiful garden beds on library grounds.
- The addition of Passion Works Studio art to the library’s Children’s Area.
- Library workshops and other activities for large events like Steampunk Spectacle and the library’s community open house.
Countywide, the Friends have also helped to support projects, including the following:
- Library outreach with a Federal Hocking Local Schools’ summer program delivering lunches, books, and enrichment activities to a number of Athens County communities.
- Extra funds to each of the Athens County Public Libraries for creative projects and upgrades.
Friends Book Sale
The management of the Book Sale is the major activity of the Friends and is almost entirely volunteer maintained. Volunteers sort and display donations weekly, keeping the sale shelves stocked.
Find out more about the Book Sale: details about what kinds of books are sold, the setup of the sale, and book donation guidelines.
Interested in helping with the Book Sale? Download the Volunteer Information and Interest Form.
Join the Friends or Donate
If you would like to join the Friends, ask in person at the Athens library or download and print the Friends’ Membership Form.
In addition to membership and book sales, the Friends welcome tax deductible monetary donations. Checks can be made out to “The Friends of the Library” and mailed or dropped off at the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St., Athens, OH 45701.
Any questions about the Friends or their Book Sale can be sent directly to FAPL45701@gmail.com.