NOTE: click any image to see an enlarged view.
Back then, every small town had a general store of some sort.Today, it might just be a gas station that also carries fishing supplies and dog food or a pharamacy that also sells canned goods and electronics. We’re all familiar with the modern day dollar stores and sundry shops; the names have changed and the prices have gone up, but the idea remains the same: sell variety.
In the late seventies and early 1980s, Nelsonville had the Super Dollar Discount Store. It was the last store to use the building at 95 West Washington before it became the current home of the Nelsonville Public Library.
The building was built in 1920 by Fred Beasely as one of his Ford garages. The building also served as a grocery store for a while. The front parking lot was the site of the Carnes Block building in the late 19th century.
Before moving here, the Nelsonville Library was in Stuart’s Opera House. After the second fire there, the library moved to the top floor of this building (the current meeting room space) before renovating and occupying the entire building.
A general store really did carry a wide-variety of goods. These tall tubes were rolled linoleum floor covering. The black door leads to the current upstairs.