Note: click on any image to enlarge.
Last week our Throwback blog was about the Flu Pandemic of 1918. It had the potential to greatly affect the coal industry: longwall mining meant the workers would be in close quarters with very poor ventilation for hours at a time.
For this week’s post, we found a 1922 map of a local coal mine that shows how a typical mine was structured:
Map and detail: The East End Coal Company’s Mine Number 7 at Kimberly, Ohio, near Nelsonville.
There were several mines in this part of the county that relied on coal seam #6, including Happy Hollow and Doanville. However, according to the above map, this site was tapping into vein #7. In his 1986 thesis project, Eugene Palka, explains that the Kimberly site developed around 2 drift mines (horizontal mining into the sides of hills) and was operated by the Sunday Creek Company (p. 38).
The bottom of our map identifies the mine’s owners as C. Robbins and J. B. Davis.
Robbins, of course, is a familiar name to the area. This may have been Charles Robbins, a Nelsonville merchant who died in 1919, a few years before this map was made. We found the obituary for Joe B. Davis from June 22, 1928:
In his thesis, Palka included two photos of Kimberly mines:
As a side note, in the 1930’s the community of Kimberly hosted a WPA library collection that was later incorporated into the newly-formed Public Library of Nelsonville and Athens County. Today, Kimberly is mostly known as the location of apartment complexes and home of Tri-County Career Center.