Book-a-Bike is a FREE bike borrowing program available at library branches in Athens, Glouster, The Plains, Nelsonville, and Chauncey.
Funded through generous support from the O’Bleness Foundation and Creating Healthy Communities (the Athens City-County Health Department and the Ohio Department of Health), bikes were purchased from Athens Bicycle, including 15- and 19-inch adult-sized bikes, cargo trikes, a recumbent bike (shown below), and a hand trike, pedaled by using one’s arms.
ACPL encourages you to take advantage of many of the libraries’ proximity to the bike path and get outside! For a map of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway + a list of bike path rules and popular destinations, click here.
- Borrower must have a current, valid library card to use equipment.
- Riders must have a lending agreement on file; minors must have a parent or legal guardian’s signed consent on file. All adult riders (even those not checking out equipment) should have a lending agreement on file.
- An adult must accompany children ages 0 to 11. Many families choose to bring their kids’ bikes to the library since they are easier to transport, then check out bikes for accompanying adults.
- Teens 12 to 17 years old may borrow equipment without an adult present, but must have a parent or legal guardian’s signed consent on file.
- Bikes and equipment may be borrowed once per day, for a maximum of three hours per patron. An adult patron may check out more than one bike or piece of equipment.
- All equipment must be returned at least 30 minutes before closing.
- Same day holds are allowed, but not more than one hour in advance.
- Helmets are required.
- Head and tail lights are available for checkout.
- Borrowers must report any damage or malfunctions to library staff immediately.
- There are no fees or fines for using Book-A-Bike;
however, bikes and equipment not returned will be treated as theft.
- When left unattended, equipment must
be locked and secured.
- Borrowers are responsible for stolen or lost equipment.
- A safety inspection checklist will be completed when equipment is borrowed and when it is returned.
- Please obey all traffic and bike path rules and courtesies.