18 Things to do before school starts (and summer ends)
Posted August 6th, 2012
You don't have to be a student or a teacher to be affected by the starting of school. Right around the end of August/beginning of September, the way the town moves and breathes will be different than it was in the summer. So, what do you need to do before this happens?
1. Get some sleep, before lack of it gets you.
2. View the full moon twice (BLUE MOON!) - August has two full moons; one just passed, the other at the end of the month is considered a BLUE moon because there are two full moons in a calendar month. Won't be seen again until another year or so.
3. Clean out/organize the messy spots of your home before things fill up again, and then have a yard sale.
4. Eat well, eat casually, seasoned with good conversation.
5. Make time to let your thoughts wander, for real, before you have to still them.
6. Take one more small, economical trip, whether to a new hiking trail you haven't tried before, canoeing for a few hours, picnic lunch in a different town - just to get yourself out for a bit for some new perspective before you are tied down for a few months.
7. Brainstorm creative, new approaches to the lunchbox. Overcome the packing-the-lunch duldrums before they overcome you.
8. Take pictures and find a way to share them, whether through social media or scrapbooking, or framing them and redecorating your walls. Then you'll have something new to look at in a few months when times are stressful and warmth and carefree summer days are far away.
9. Write a letter, a REAL LETTER with stamps and all, to your closest friend(s) or family just to say "hi" before you don't have time anymore.
10. Open the windows. Breathe.
11. Learn a few phrases in a different language, just because.
12. Have a dance party.
13. Read and FINISH a book.
14. Try a new recipe.
15. Start getting to bed a few minutes earlier every night, to work yourself into the routine.
16. Visit a local farm and pick your own (scroll all the way down the page in this link) produce.
17. Make a list of things you are grateful for and then share it.